The 2019 Summer School will be held on the weekend of Friday 10th May until Sunday 12th May- The theme and programme of the weekend is not finalised yet but will explore the events in the first thirty years of the Plantation of Ulster.
In1619 Nicholas Pynnar completed his survey on the progress of the Plantation of the six escheated counties of Ulster. This survey gives us today a glimpse into the events and the situation that both planter and native found themselves in four hundred years ago. This survey will set the scene for the talks at the 2019 Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Summer School which will look at various events occurring in Ireland and further afield at that
John Speed printed this map of Ulster in 1611.On the reverse of the map there is a complete set of text briefly describing the history and topography of the province. To see this map of Ulster in detail see link on right hand column on this page:
Nicholas Pynnar was a surveyor, he came to Ireland apparently in May 1600 as a captain of foot in the army sent to Lough Foyle under Sir Henry Docwra On 31 March 1604 his company was disbanded, and he himself assigned a pension of four shillings a day. In 1610 he offered as a servitor, not in pay, to take part in the plantation of Ulster, and in 1611 lands to the extent of one thousand acres were allotted him in co. Cavan. But he did not proceed with the enterprise, and on 28 Nov. 1618 he was appointed a commissioner ‘to survey and to make a return of the proceedings and performance of conditions of the undertakers, servitors, and natives planted’ in the six escheated counties of Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal, Cavan, Fermanagh, and Londonderry. He was engaged on this work from 1 Dec. 1618 to 28 March 1619.His report was first printed by Walter Harris (1686–1761)in his ‘Hibernica, or some Ancient Pieces relating to the History of Ireland,’ in 1757, from a copy preserved among the bishop of Clogher’s manuscripts in Trinity College, Dublin. It has been frequently referred to by subsequent writers, and was again printed by the Rev. George Hill in his ‘Plantation of Ulster.’
Mapmaking was the new science of the late middle ages. Dutch mapmaker, Joan Blaeu followed his father William Blaeu as a cartographer and published this map of Ulster. It is a hand-coloured, engraved map of ‘Vultonia; Hibernis Cujgujlly; Anglis Vlster’, in the first state as published in the 1654 fifth volume of Novus Atlas. To see this map of Ulster in detail see link on right hand column on this page:
for updates see: https://www.facebook.com/mocleirighschool/
Fáilte chuig scoil samhraidh Mhíchíl Uí Chléirigh
A Summer School for remembering, for learning, for enjoyment. We remember a great local man, Mícheál Ó Cléirigh. We learn from scholars about his story and his times. We begin to understand what this means for us today. And we enjoy ourselves. We travel to local historic sites. We visit Mícheál’s birthplace. We walk the beautiful Rossnowlagh beach. We talk late into the evening in the local hostelries. Welcome to the Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Summer School to a family distinguished by scholarship. His older brother, Maolmhuire (Fr Bernadine) was ordained in Salamanca, Spain, later moving to Louvain, Belgium in 1619 and Michael joined him a few years later. As a lay brother Michael was able to concentrate on historical research and transcription rather than on priestly duties. In 1626 he was dispatched by a fellow Donegal man, Hugh Ward to Ireland to collect the lives of the Irish saints. This he did. But he also did more. For 10 years, Michael travelled the length and breadth of Ireland gathering the ancient manuscripts and histories wherever he could find them. He and his collaborators transcribed the material into Annála Ríochta na hÉireann (the Annals of the Four Masters). They left us with an incomparable record of the history of Ireland.
The Micheál Ó Cléirigh School Partnership
The Mícheál Ó Cléirigh School has been set up by a partnership of:
♦ Local people from Ballyshannon / Creevy / Rossnowlagh in Co. Donegal with a mission to preserve the memory of a great local hero.
♦The Franciscan Friars who established a Friary on Donegal Bay 1474 and played such an important part in Irish writing and scholarship from their monasteries in Ireland and Louvain.
♦The Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Institute at University College Dublin repository of an unparalleled archive of historical documents and the centre of voluminous research on Irish medieval history since its inception in the year 2000. See: www.ucd.ie/mocleirigh
The Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Summer School At Rossnowlagh
The inaugural programme of the Mícheál Ó Cléirigh School took place on Saturday 17th May, 2014. The main events were held in the Ó’Cléirigh Hall beside the Franciscan Friary at Rossnowlagh, close by the birthplace of Mícheál Ó Cléirigh on lands originally belonging to the Ó Cléirigh clan, prior to 1610. The venue was an appropriate one, as it was built by the Franciscan Friars who returned to Donegal in 1946. They were, of course, influenced by the association of the area with some of the renowned members of their Irish fraternity, such as Mícheál Ó Cléirigh, John Colgan and Hugh Ward.
The Second Mícheál Ó Cléirigh School took place at Rossnowlagh on the weekend of 15th – 17th May, 2015.The theme was “Saints & Scholars”
The Third Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Summer School was held over the weekend of Friday 27th May to Sunday 29th May 2016. The Theme was ” Refugees & Strangers”.
The Fourth Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Summer School was held over the weekend of Friday 12th May to Sunday 14th May 2017. The Theme was .”Irish & European”
The Fifth Mícheál Ó Cléirigh Summer School was held over the weekend from Friday 11th May until Sunday 13th May, The theme was “The Annals and the Earls”
See our picture gallery from all four Summer Schools 2014,2015,2016, 2017 & 2018. .